3.11.2013

Oven Chicken Fajitas



Friday night was fajita night! And movie night, but that’s beside the point. If I don’t have Mexican food at least one a week, something just feels wrong. Somehow my body craves spicy meat, fresh lime and creamy avocado.

Living in Germany does not make this easy, because there are all of two Mexican restaurants in Frankfurt neither of which actually serve Mexican food. And to make matters worse, you can’t find any decent salsa, chips or corn tortillas in regular supermarkets. That requires a trip to an indoor farmer’s market.

I do the best with what I can find, though. And tonight’s meal was cooked with ingredients that I even I can get my hands on at a local grocery store. The beauty of this dish was that while it took a while to cook, it did not take long to prep (15 mins). And everything went into just one massive casserole dish, so limited cleanup!

I served this over a bed of lettuce with avocado and sour cream. Were I not completed cutting out processed carbs, I would have used it as a filling in tortillas or eaten the salad with some tortillas chips crumbled on top.


Recipe


3 chicken breasts, sliced in thin strips
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow pepper, slices
1 large onion, sliced
2 T. vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. dried oregano
15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 T. corn starch
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Toss sliced chicken and vegetables into large casserole dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, spices and garlic, then drizzle over chicken and vegetables. Pour a small amount of liquid from the crushed tomatoes into the same bowl and pour rest of its contents into the casserole dish. In bowl, add the corn starch and whisk until smooth, then pour into the casserole dish. Toss all ingredients together with tongs or your hands so that everything is coated. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 mins or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve over salad with sour cream and avocado like I did or in tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment