3.04.2013

Cilantro-lime tilapia with Black Bean Quinoa Fritters



I’m not sure about you guys, but there are few things I like better than shopping for food. Getting to put all of my prized purchases into the fridge and pantry are a close second. I feel so wealthy, so gleeful knowing all the joy I’m going to get out of cooking and eating all this food. I’m ready to play! But enough about my squirrel-like tendencies.

Going shopping meant I could finally make my black bean fritters. Rejoice! After eating such a light dinner the night before (Broccoli Beet Salad), I really needed a protein boost so I decided to have them with lime-cilantro tilapia. After all, one can only eat so many salads and feel satisfied – even if they are filled with delicious artichoke hearts and bacon bits.

The beautiful thing about quinoa fritters is they are so versatile. Depending on what the rest of your meal looks like, you can change the spices and the “goodies.” This time I was going for Southwestern flavors: earthy cumin, smoky chili powder, paprika and a little cayenne pepper for a kick. When I’m going for Italian flavors, I sprinkle in dried basil, oregano and some chili flakes along with sun dried tomatoes and some parmesan cheese.




Recipes

Black bean fritters
2 cups cooked quinoa, cold
2-3 eggs
¼ cup all-purpose flour or cornmeal
15 oz. can black beans, drained
½ cup grated cheese
1/3 cup corn
1 jalapenos, diced
1 clove garlic, smashed
¼ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Makes 8- 10 fritters.

In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, flour, beans, corn, cheese, jalapenos, garlic and spices and then add in eggs one at a time. If the mixture looks too dry to form patties, add all 3 eggs. If the mixture looks too wet, add additional flour. Form patties 3 to 4 inches in diameter and ¾ inch thick. Place into a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat with olive oil and cook approx. 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with lime and sour cream.



Slaw Dressing

1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 T. mayo
3-4 T. rice wine vinegar
Juice and zest of ½ lime
½ T. Fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper

You know what to do!


Lime-Cilantro Tilapia
4 fish fillets
1-2 T. olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of ½ lime
Salt and pepper

Combine olive oil, lime juice, lime zest and salt and pepper. Pour marinade over fillets and try your very best to wait at least 30 minutes before pan frying or broiling the fish.

3 comments:

  1. Geez, Dani, your Black Bean Fritter recipe looks GREAT! That could be partially because I'm hungry (it's morning here) and also because I LOVE new things to do with our beloved quinoa! Mary turned me on to your blog. I'm DELIGHTED to be reading of your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I'm hoping to put up more quinoa recipes soon.

      Delete
  2. Boy, Sweetheart, you sure have a strong "anonymous" following! And they mostly want you to DO something for them! I hope you're doing something for yourself!

    ReplyDelete