5.23.2013

Banana-Walnut Breakfast Muffins


I’m fairly boring when it comes to breakfast. I don’t know about you, but for me it’s all about maximizing sleeping time. This typically leaves me grabbing the same thing day in and day out before I run out the door in the morning. My go-to fuel is usually cottage cheese with granola or oats and berries. But I decided to venue out and bake some muffins.

I’m not sure why I haven’t come around to this idea sooner. No sleep is lost, because the baking can happen the night before. Then BAM you’re set for a few days. OK maybe two to three days, because let’s be honest, it’s impossible not to eat like two immediately. My generally rule: One taste test per batch… I mean it’s quality control. Not to do so would just be irresponsible. Plus, it’s always fun to bringing treats into work and brighten someone’s days.

And these muffins are sure to get you off to a good start. I used applesauce instead of butter or oil, but I don’t miss it in the least. The walnuts and egg yolk add a bit of healthy fat and protein. By mixing wheat and all-purpose flour, you get a bit of roughage without it being like a bran muffin.

My favorite way to eat them is with cream cheese and honey or just a slab of butter. Next time, I think I’m going to add some blueberries and see what happens.


Banana-Walnut Breakfast Muffins

Makes approx. 20 muffins.


Ingredients:
________________________________________________________________________________

3 ripe bananas
½ cup applesauce (no added sugar)
2 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 (white) sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ all purpose flour
½ wheat flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ cup walnuts (or more if desired)
¾ tsp. salt

Directions:
_______________________________________________________________________

1.  Preheat oven to 350F (175C). 

2.  In a large bowl, beat together banana, sugar and applesauce with an electric mixer. Add in one egg at a time, beating each until combined. Add vanilla extract and combine.

3.  In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add the dry mixture to the wet and combine in as few strokes as possible. Fold in walnuts toward the end. Over mixing will make the dough rubbery. 

4.  Pour batter into a lined muffin tin. Bake approx. 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. You brighten our day everyday Dani! But especially when you bring in edible presents!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear it! I always need taste testers!

      Delete