2.19.2013

Spinach Chicken with Rosemary Sweet Potates


Just looking at this plate cheers me up!

Vibrant food somehow makes me excited to eat it. Mostly because I'm convinced that eating it will make me just as vibrant.

Having just started my sugar-detox, I was experiencing some pretty intense sugar cravings. Ones that had my brain thinking things like ... Why did you decide to do this to me? Chocolate doesn't count as sugar right? There are antioxidants in it or something. Can't we end this tomorrow? Or um ... right now? 

So to give in without giving in, I decided to turn to sweet potatoes. While they are sweet as can be, they also have some great nutritional benefits as well: They are a good source of fiber, vitamin B6 and potassium as well as a very good source of vitamin A, Vitamin C and Manganese. Just see for yourself here.

Of course, sweet potatoes by themselves don't make a meal. To round out the sweet with some savory flavors, I teamed it up roasted chicken and a warm spinach salad. The salty feta crumbles and bacon bits melt together with the spinach.


Recipe

Rosemary sweet potatoes

6 medium sweet potatoes
1-2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
1/4-1/2 tsp. sweet paprika

Preheat oven to 200 F. In a bowl combine olive oil and seasonings. Peel and cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick wedges and toss into bowl until pieces are coated with. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until soft with golden edges, turning the potatoes every 10 minutes.

Warm spinach salad

5 cups of fresh spinach
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 small diced onion
2 pieces of cooked, minced bacon
1 large clove of garlic
1/4 cup of feta

Saute the mushrooms in a medium pan on medium heat for about 4 minutes until soft. Then add onions and cook until transparent. Add garlic, then spinach and cook until wilted. Then add bacon and crumble in feta. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm over roasted chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment